Are you going to start a challenging opportunity in Spain? Are you already overwhelmed with all the documents you need? We will try to provide you with a practical guide to better understand the process of how to obtain the NIE number and all the details you need to know.
What it is, where you can ask for it and why do you need it?
The NIE Number (Número de Identificación de Extranjeros) is a personal and exclusive number, granted by the Office of Foreigners. Foreigners who relocate to Spain for reasons of their economic, professional or social interest may personally request the NIE in the General Police Department through the Immigration Department or in police stations. In case you are not in Spain yet, you can request the assignment of the NIE to the General Department on Alien Affairs and Borders, through the Spanish Consular Offices abroad.
The NIE number is required for all kind of paperwork, official proceedings or economic and professional interests. However, it is important to keep in mind that this number does not entitle you to reside in Spain. Also, you will need it to open a bank account, to establish a business, to buy real estate, filing a tax return or for any sort of administrative request inherent to the foreign office.
Web page for appointment and online steps
You can access the website to complete the process on this link.
The payment is €10.60
Online process and steps
- Cita previa extranjería
- At the bottom of the page “accede al procedimiento”
- Choose “Barcelona” in “Provincias Disponibles”.
- In the menu that appears, click on “Certificados EU”, click it again and accept it (aceptar).
- Next page explains the documents you have to bring, then click on “Entrar” at the bottom.
- Fill in your passport number, full name (same as on the passport) and press “Aceptar”
- Click on “Solicitar cita” and click on “Siguiente”.
- Fill in your phone number, email address and in “motivo o tipo de solicitud de la cita”, write: Solicitud NIE. Then click “Siguiente”
- Choose your appointment (if several options are offered) and click “Siguiente”
Save and Print the confirmation (you will need it at the appointment)
Once you have booked your appointment, you have to bring:
- A document justifying why you want the NIE. For example, an Offer letter from the company hiring you.
It MUST include: start date of the contract, type of contract, full company name and NIF. Signed in the original!
- The printed confirmation of your appointment
- The EX15 document + 2 copies of this file
You can find it at: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/CANBERRA/en/Documents/Solicitud%20NIE.pdf
- Your passport and a copy of your passport!
- Your European Social Security card or Private insurance card and a copy
Make sure that you bring every document listed above!
If you still have some doubts or you want to share with us your comments, do not hesitate to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org