If you are currently living in Spain, you probably have noticed that most of the companies are closed today because of a bank holiday. You are now probably planning to go to the beach, meeting your friends or maybe going to visit something you wanted to see.
Do you actually know why are you having a day off? Christopher Columbus set sail from the South-West Spain on August 3, 1492. He arrived on an island that is now part of the Bahamas in the Caribbean on October 12, 1492. We remember this date as Hispanic Day in Spain.
October 12 is known as Discovery Day in the Bahamas, Day of the Cultures in Costa Rica, Day of the Race in Argentina, Chile and Mexico and the Day of Indigenous Resistance in Venezuela. The second Monday of October is Columbus Day in the United States.
Each Spanish speaking country is celebrating this day in a different way depending on its different meanings. Are you still in bed waking up with no plans?
- Our best recommendation: Wake up, take a shower, dress-up and take a train/bus somewhere out of the city. It is a perfect opportunity to relax and disconnect and at the same time to visit something new. Check this list: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/travel/20-breathtaking-monuments-in-catalonia
- What about some fresh air? Getting lost in nature is always a good idea and Spain is just a paradise for it. There are beautiful routes you can discover around you. Check some of them here: https://www.timeout.com/barcelona/travel/10-nature-getaways-in-catalonia-in-2016
- Another good idea is to go to the beach. Yes we know, it is half of October. But with 24 degrees at the sun… there is no excuse. Remember that probably until April-May this temperature will not come back. Our recommendations: http://bluselection.com/best-beaches-barcelona/
- Are your born as an artist? Or maybe just curious? There is a temporary exhibition of Andy Warhol at CaixaForum. It is free entrance if you are a customer of La Caixa, otherwise, it costs 4€. Enjoy some of the pieces of the American father of the Pop Art. Really worth it! https://caixaforum.es/barcelona/fichaexposicion?entryId=206965
- Just going for a walk in the city? Enjoy an ice-cream at one of the best shops in Barcelona http://bluselection.com/top-ice-cream-shops-in-barcelona/
- Did you know that there is the Sitges Film Festival happening these days? You can check here the movies and the schedule for today and here all the trailers: http://sitgesfilmfestival.com/eng/programa/trailers
Now you know why we are celebrating this day. You choose how to it. Take a breath and #makethebluexperience.